Friday, August 21, 2009

Back to school

Monday was Shelby's birthday-she turned 9. It is so hard to believe it's been 9 yrs. since we had our first baby. Todd was off, so we began our "celebration" early-we went to Chuck E. Cheese and the kids played-we grabbed some lunch at Wendy's, walked around in the Goodwill and then started home. We decided to stop at a park that we seldom go to, just for a change. It was nice to play, but it was pretty much in the full sun, so after a little bit we decided to head home. That evening, we went to my parents' house to have cake. I had intended to start school on Tuesday, but I didn't get everything accomplished that I wanted to and didn't feel prepared, so we didn't start on Tuesday!

On Tuesday, I did get everything organized and did feel a little bit more prepared to start school-so we started on Wednesday. Shelby started with her DVD's-she LOVES them! I have let Spencer and Sarah sit in on her Bible time. I had planned to teach them Bible separately, but sometimes my "good intentions" never go beyond that...so I figured it would be better for them to sit in with her, then maybe not get any Bible in at all. I hope to work on them with the passages set aside for them to learn-I kind of got away from that last year. It is just so hectic sometimes trying to get everything in...especially with the others that aren't doing school.

On Wednesday, their Bible lesson was about Heaven and how you can go there. I don't think Sarah is quite ready to be saved, but I'm always hoping she's paying attention...and anticipate the time when she is ready! A couple other events happened that day to get the kids thinking along the lines of salvation-my mom's uncle passed away. He was 86, and we don't believe he was saved. Also, that night at church, a young man was baptized-he thought he was saved at a child, but realized he wasn't. At bedtime, Shelby started asking me questions about Hell...and was just talking about different things. She told me she wasn't sure of her salvation. We went into the living room and I was able to read and pray with her. She did pray and ask the Lord to save her....I thought she did get saved before, but she was small....I do think she meant it-and at least she has assurance now. I did struggle with doubts about my salvation as a child...of course, when I was a kid, many churches around were showing that movie "The Burning Hell", has anyone seen that? It's enough to make you want to get saved-and I tried, after every time I saw it, I think. ;-) After I finished praying with Shelby, Spencer came in and said he was having doubts about his salvation, too. ? I did pray with him, too....it always makes you a little skeptical when it's right after someone else...but I sure wasn't going to tell him no...especially about his salvation.

Todd also started back to class this week as well. He will be finished this semester, thank goodness. He has classes Tues-Thurs...yesterday was a hectic day-he left a little after 8, went to school all day, then worked 4p-12am. He got back home at about 12:30...I was waiting up for him-I almost didn't make it.

It was nice to all be together this morning. Todd took the little boys to the barber shop while we did school. They look so handsome-I need to get some batteries in my camera so you can see. I am terrible about these cameras and pictures! He is gone to work now...I don't know what the kids and I will do later....

We went out to get into our vehicle earlier and someone had gone through our glove compartment...well, basically EVERY compartment. I was so aggravated-mainly at myself for not locking the doors. They stole our change sorter thing....I doubt there was even $1 in there...we hardly ever use cash. I don't think they got anything of any importance, it's just kind of annoying to know someone was pilfering through your things. I've made a mental note to lock my doors from now on...just in case we happen to have anything good in our vehicles. It is kind of sad, too that you do feel relatively safe in your home....then there's a reminder of how things really are. I don't mean to blow things all out of proportion, it was only a change dispenser...it's just the idea of going through someone else's property and stealing-even if it is only $1.

My mom had surgery today to remove a spot of basil cell cancer from her forehead. They told her it could be a very lengthy procedure-they remove it a little at a time since there isn't much skin on your forehead. Thankfully, she only had to go back (for removal) twice, they felt like they got it all, then stitched her up. I hope that she doesn't have much pain...it made me a little sick feeling as I was talking to her. I hope she doesn't have any more places that require any attention. I am thankful, though, that they did get all the melanoma-it all could be so much worse!

The other day, Shelby was reviewing for the kids what the drill was supposed to be after breakfast. (She's always looking out for them like that-strictly for their own benefit-NEVER just because she wants to be bossy! ;0) So, she's telling them, after breakfast, brush your teeth, wash your face, get your clothes on, so we can start school. Spencer says, "Wash my face? Just to do school...I'm not gonna wash my face, just to do school" Oh little boys....

Hope all is well with everyone. Enjoy the weekend!

No comments: