Okay, so technically it wasn't a hurricane, but it was remnants from Ike...and we did have hurricane force winds!!!! I noticed when we went to church Sunday morning, it was humid and warm....and windy. We commented on it, as we got into the van....I never gave it another thought. After church, I looked out the door and noticed it was very windy....a little bit later we set out for Mawmaw and Pawpaw's. The drive there was very crazy....Todd had both hands on the wheel. The kids were getting a little nervous, especially as we passed a wooden sign that broke off and blew across a field. We passed a few trees that were down already...we finally made it to the house and ran inside. The power went out as we were about to eat lunch. We stayed there for a little bit and then decided to head home. The power was out at home, too...we tried to get the kids to play in the basement...no one was about to take a nap!!! Todd worked on homework....I was kind of bored...not much to do w/out power! Later in the day, the winds finally calmed down....we didn't have church, so we went out to start cleaning up the yard. It looked like a war zone....we were thankful that none of our trees were down...we did have several limbs, but nothing compared to what could have been. It has been pretty crazy here...our power did come back on Monday afternoon, some people STILL don't have power! Street lights are out, the schools have been closed, MCDONALDS IS CLOSED!!! If that tells you anything. My dad went to Meijer earlier, and said they are still operating on generators....half of the lights were out. I had to go out Sunday night, trying to find ice. You could feel the anxiety in the air....people were panicking. I did finally get ice, after trying several places....it was a little nerve-racking, though, with street lights out and people so worked up! So many streets are still closed due to trees blocking them...it will be nice for things to get back to normal. It sure does make you appreciate electricity just being without it for a little while. My heart goes out to those who survived the "real thing"....I can't imagine, since we just felt the remnants, several states away. It definitely was an experience I'll never forget.
In review of the weekend, I did end up going to the Ladies' Retreat on Saturday. It was a lot of fun. I did get to see some friends, and heard some good speakers. JoJo Moffitt spoke, she was so funny!! I wish I could've heard her more. I was glad I got to go...even if it was just for a little bit! :-)
Hope you're having a good week! :-) I go back to the dr on Friday....can't wait!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Thank God everyone is ok!
So glad you went to the retreat afterall. What a blessed time you must have had.
Veronica in CA
Post a Comment