Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Anxiety....

This morning started off kind of crazy. We had breakfast, Todd left to go to school-the plan was he would be there all day, then head to work at 4, and work 'til midnight. He left the house, the kids were getting dressed, and the phone rings. It is Todd, he tells me the truck broke down. It is towed to our house, and after some thought (Todd wasn't in the mood to go to school after coming back home) he left for class, again. The kids had already finished their Bible, I gave the smaller two their seatwork, took my shower. I decided we would head out and take care of a few errands I needed to do, and worry about the rest of our schoolwork after lunch. We headed to my office to pick up my work, then we headed over to our old church to get Todd's bible-he'd left it there on Sunday. The kids stayed in the car when we got to the church, I walked in and talked with the secretary, a lady I've known all my life. She was teasing, saying they weren't going to give the bible back-we'd have to come get it on Sunday morning. I did get the bible and the kids and I headed home for lunch. Todd pulled in the driveway a few minutes after we did. I was so glad to see him. His teacher had a dr's appt. so they got to leave early. We had lunch, then he helped me do school w/the kids. It was so nice having him home, even though we didn't get to visit much....it just makes me feel better knowing he's here. :-)

My friend, Amber called me today from Honduras. She was filling me in on all that's been going on with her since we talked last-about a week or so ago. She told me about a terrible incident that happened to her over the weekend. She had gone out with the other missionary couple that they work with, some teachers from their school, and a guest speaker who had come to hold a Bible conference for their church. LeRoy, Amber's husband, stayed home with their two babies, and told Amber to go, since she isn't able to get out and have time to herself much. They were driving down the road, when suddenly they were stopped in traffic. Two men on motorcycles pull up beside their vehicle, with a gun, and begin banging on the window demanding money. The man driving couldn't get the window to roll down, so the man with the gun, yanked the door open and pointed the gun right in the missionary's face. His little seven year old daughter was sitting right beside him in the front seat, as was his wife. He began frantically emptying his pockets, but he didn't have much money in them. The man became angry, was yelling and cussing...the missionary pulled out his wallet and gave them the rest of his money. The man pulled the keys out of the ignition of the truck, and drove away. Thankfully, no one was hurt and the missionary's wife had another set of keys in her purse, so they could just drive away. I know this was so traumatic for all of them. The poor little girl I mentioned, who was sitting right by her dad when the man had the gun pointed at him, has been having a lot of nightmares, as you can understand. If you think about it, pray for them, please. I am so thankful that all of them are okay-especially Amber and her baby!

Today, I have thought about my church so much-tonight was the first night of Awana for this year. The kids had been looking forward to it, and Todd and I have worked over there for the past several years. I was kind of feeling sad...and as it drew closer to church time, I was feeling more anxious about going to a new place without Todd. I did feel kind of weird, people were nice to me, but it's different being on the outside, when you're used to walking in church and knowing everyone and they all know you, and then suddenly you don't know anyone. I do know a few people's names, not many...I know we'll make friends soon...it's just so hard adjusting. I did enjoy the message, it was really good and made me think about some things in my life. It also was exciting listening to the pastor tell about recent converts, and how they are excited to win others. The kids really had a good time in Master Clubs, so I was happy for them. I know it's always easier for kids to fit in, (at least at their ages) then it is for adults.

My parents are on their way home. They've been gone since Saturday-driving all over the country, I think. They went to Michigan when they left, then my dad had an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic today about some issues he's been having, so they drove all over Ohio-when I talked to them a couple of hours ago they were just a few hours away. I guess by now they could be almost home. We have missed them-we see them about every day-I know the kids will be thrilled when they get home!

No comments: