Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The year in Review....

The kids and I have been busy today running around. (Mainly to keep my mind occupied) We went to Kohl's and I got a new gown; it wasn't really a necessity, but I ended up getting it for free-using Kohl's cash! We went to Wal-mart and I got a few things for my camera to make sure we are ready for this birth-I also got a new pair of slippers for the hospital (that just happen to match my gown)!

The kids are all excited, thinking we're going to have some big bash tonight. They are so funny. Honestly, I don't know what we'll do tonight...probably end up at my parent's house. All that keeps going through my mind each time they say something about a party is, "we're gonna party like it's 19-99!" I don't even like him or know anymore of the song!!!! That's dating yourself isn't it...

This morning I woke up early sometime (not ready to get up and stir anyone), so I just laid there and let my mind wander. I began thinking about this year, trying to recall the events that have taken place....it's kind of hard to do! Then it all started coming back to me....in January, Todd started his new job at MKM (after being laid off for 6 mths). I remembered how disappointed I was and discouraged, not really understanding what the Lord had planned for us. I thought for sure the Lord was going to give Todd a "good" job, but He didn't. Actually the job he got was worse in several ways...one major thing being the pay. Looking back now, I can say He has been faithful to us-I'll say more about that in a minute.

In February, my Aunt Helen passed away. I have missed her a lot...I enjoyed spending time with her, listening to her tell stories about her life. I am thankful that she did get saved a few years before she died and that I will see her again.

In March I turned 30. I realize now that it's just a number...but it wasn't a milestone that I was looking forward to! :-)

In late April/early May, we found out we were expecting number 6. Although some think we are crazy, we were thrilled!

I guess the next event that sticks out in my mind was in July. We found out that Todd was going to be laid off AGAIN...we couldn't believe it. You have to know Todd to understand fully this situation. He is a worker...he is one of the hardest working men I've ever seen. He reminds me of my dad when I was growing up. One time when he (my dad) was driving a truck in the winter, the parking lot had frozen and he slipped and broke his wrist. He had to drive a tractor-trailer to Lexington, KY (which is about an hour and a half drive) shifting gears w/that hand, unload (I think he might have had help, but still), drive all the way back to Louisville-all before he did anything about his wrist. My point is, my dad was a hard worker, (he's since had an injury and isn't able to work-he does still do things he shouldn't) and Todd is the same way. As one guy put it, he has his "working man's PH.D" :-) All this to say, it doesn't matter how hard of a worker you are, you can't work if you can't find a job. This has been a hard lesson to learn, especially for Todd, I think. Some people think that if you've been laid off and can't find a job you must not WANT to work. We've been guilty, I'm sure of passing judgement on others as well, when we don't fully know the situation. I'll finish this thought in a minute.

Another thing that happened in July-our good friends, LeRoy and Amber Rolston left for Honduras as missionaries. The Lord has been so good to them, helping them adjust to the culture and learning the language (they are still working on that). We hope one day we can go visit.

August came-Todd and the girls celebrated their birthdays. We were so thrilled and amazed that Todd was able to start school on the 18th. Classes and books fully paid for....we still find it hard to believe. We are so grateful for the training Todd has been able to begin-like I said it is still unbelievable. Todd enjoyed his classes and did well.

I guess the kids and I started school when Todd did. I must admit, I was worried about homeschooling 3...didn't know how it would go, especially since I was still working my part-time job. It hasn't been too bad....I'm so thankful the Lord has helped us and given us the strength to go on. I wouldn't want my kids to be in public school and Christian school just isn't an option-I'm so glad the Lord gives us what we need to be able to do it!

In October, Todd had a little break from school. We used this time to visit some friends and go stay up at Hoosier Hills. It was nice to get away. We haven't been on a true vacation for a while...we're going somewhere, sometime! (maybe)

I won't go back into the more recent history, of November and December. Looking back over the year and how it started out, I was discouraged and uncertain-I'm so thankful I can say the Lord has taken care of us and provided EVERY need. He's so good to us...even when I don't understand, it's hard sometimes to trust...I'm learning! It was so funny, Todd and I both wrote similar things in our anniversary cards to one another....mainly about the trials we've faced-even though we wouldn't have chosen the circumstances a lot of times, we are thankful they have brought us closer together and feel we've been strengthened in our faith. I am so glad the Lord gave me Todd-for better or for worse....I know he'll be there with me! Our year has had its ups and downs, as everyone else's has, I'm sure. I'm so thankful the Lord has been there with us.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

dezandheath said...

Jen, that's a perfectly put post! You are such a great mix of realism (like how you joke about your kids and everyday life) and optimism (because of your faith in the Lord ~ you never seem to make a complaint w/out a follow-up praise). I hope you have a Happy New Year and that baby is here soon!

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

I love how we did about the same thing for our new year's post...great minds think alike?!?!

I love reading about how you have seen God in the good and bad. I especially love how thankful you are for your husband.

Can't wait..is it a boy or girl?!!!
xoxo, Veronica in CA