I had made a doctor's appointment for Spencer yesterday because while he was outside playing something got into his eye and I was worried he had scratched it...it was so red and irritated and really bothering him. A little while after making his appointment, I noticed Sarah had a rash on her legs....she has so much trouble w/allergies I had thought about taking her sooner, but dreaded going to the dr. remembering our last experience there. (which was our first visit w/this practice) So, I called the office back and made an appointment for Sarah as well. Their appointments were at 1:45 and 1:55. We got to the office at about 1:30 and I filled out a lot of paperwork and we took our seats in the waiting room. Almost an hour later, we head back to the exam rooms. The lady that took us back was pretty nice...she told me they were going to do their check-ups while they were there. (I knew that probably meant shots!) I knew Sarah was due for some, but I thought Spencer was up to date.
The doctor comes in and says hello, doesn't introduce himself or anything. He asks me a few questions and then he puts his gloves on and abruptly comes up to Spencer and starts looking him over. He NEVER spoke to the kids or said anything to make them feel more at ease or anything. I don't know about anyone else's dr's but our other pediatrician was always so kind and would come in and talk to the kids...afterall, they are the patient!! Also, I didn't think the gloves were necessary...they are kids and they bathe regularly...he was just touching their skin!!! I know that is a matter of preference...it was just different. At one point when he was examining Spencer, I guess Sarah was in his way (she was sitting next to him on the table-like she had been instructed to do by the first lady) and so instead of him saying anything to her, he kind of nudged her on the leg and pushed on her. He did this again a few minutes later, and then he said you move over here. He wasn't even nice about it. He barely even looked at Spencer's eye and didn't say what he thought it was...he just handed me a prescription for eye drops. He didn't say anything about the rash on Sarah's skin...she's had it before due to allergies. It was all so weird...he informs me Spencer needed a shot and would have his blood drawn. Sarah needed 5 shots and would need her blood drawn. He left and we waited for the nurse. I felt sick to my stomach...luckily they didn't hear what he said. A while later, the nurse came in and said we would start w/Spencer. I'm holding him and trying to console him as she jabs him in the finger... It was bugging me because it was almost like she was scolding them for crying. She acted as if she couldn't believe he was so upset!!! (He's 5 yrs old) Then we lay him down for the shot. Sarah, bless her heart was already so worked up from watching this ordeal...she was hysterical before the needles ever touched her!!! She was screaming and crying and I had to hold her for the finger stick. It didn't really seem like a stick...it looked like she had been harpooned...the blood poured from her finger...she had to get a new band aid because the blood ran through and got everywhere!!! Then I had to hold her for the shots... Like I said, she was screaming and crying...I wish she wouldn't have been so noisy, but I wasn't about to get on her...she was scared to death. I say this because when the shots were about to start, the door was open a little bit and I look up and see the woman who saw the kids last time-she's standing there looking in w/this look on her face of disgust, like she can't believe Sarah. She was being loud, but she was also terrified and she's 4!!! What is she supposed to do? By the end of this ordeal, I was so upset...I was crying, too. We FINALLY got out of there...after 2 hours...I was so relieved to be going home. Shots are hard on little kids...but it would make it easier to bear if they were offered just a little bit of kindness.
I am not too picky about many things...but when it comes to my kids, I want them to be treated right. It burns me the treatment we have received from this office. I am going to try and find a new doctor...I just hope I can find one that will be kind to them and that I can feel comfortable w/the care they receive.
ON A MORE PLEASANT NOTE...my best friend, Amber had her baby on Wednesday morning. She had a little girl! So now they have a little boy who is 2 and a sweet baby girl. I am so thankful the Lord watched over her and the baby and helped them through the delivery.
Sorry this post is so long....
12 days of school left....I CAN'T WAIT TO BE FINISHED!!!! :-)
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm so frustrated with your doctors!! :) Just so you know, if you ever need to make a move somewhere, I have yet to meet a doctor up here who is not kind and personable. Maybe it's a small town vs. big city thing? I don't know, but you're welcome any time. :)
Post a Comment